Monday, November 16, 2009

It's Dream Song season

N, hope yr day is going well. The wind is blowing little orange scraps of trees called leaves all around the city. It is nearly 4pm & almost dark. Berryman's Dream Songs lie in my lap. I do not understand them today. His lexicon is bizarre, his form flippant. Yet, when I think of what a Poem is in my mind, my only answer is Berryman, to imitate him, to live his life. Song 14 may be my favorite poem of all time:
Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so.
After all, the sky flashes, the great sea yearns,
we ourselves flash and yearn,
and moreover my mother told me as a boy
(repeatingly) 'Ever to confess you're bored
means you have no
Inner Resources.' I conclude now I have no
inner resources, because I am heavy bored.
Peoples bore me,
literature bores, especially great literature,
Henry bores me, with his plights & gripes
as bad as achilles,
who loves people and valiant art, which bores me.
And the tranquil hills, & gin, look like a drag
and somehow a dog
has taken itself & its tail considerably away
into mountains or sea or sky, leaving
behind: me, wag.
Wow! It is one of the most transparent of all the Songs, but it can really be digested if you hear Berryman read it. YouTube has a video of him reading it. Check it out.
So here we have it. John Berryman, Paul Celan, John Ashbery. That's all we need. Me thinks.
I had ham & eggs for breakfast this morning.
xoxo
d

No comments:

Post a Comment